Saturday, February 19, 2011

How low can you go

So in the past I have been accused of being a pessimist and extremely negative in my opinions/blogs.   This has got me thinking and after much thought and debate between my many sparkling personalities I have decided to embrace my negativity and use it to express some real feelings about our little adventure.  I will not can-da-noodle anyone(yes I know this is a made up word but it seems to fit into my present mind set) and try to tell it how I see it.  Enjoy and if you don't like it then bypass these posts every 5 days.  See I even provide easy outs for people.  negativity is underrated.

So life is Cruising along up here.  Being 15 feet off the ground in a 48 foot boat that is weighing around 18 tonnes is not the most settling feeling.  However you do what you do to survive. 

Thursday was Lisa's birthday.  'Best birthday ever' I think was her opinion of the day.  There may have been a mild/severely sarcastic tone along with her response but I am not sure.  She did get a brand new wind turbine and a vegan red velvet cake so I am not sure what possible reason she could have for complaining.  She is 34 though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Carl and Don did a great job on the Wind Turbine and It has been humming along for a good 12 hours now.  Funnily enough it puts me right to sleep.  The electrical has not been hooked up yet.  This means there is a reasonable amount of power moving along the wire and out into nothingness.  I can't wait until Don and Carl start seeing who can hold on the longest and Leslie and I get some real life practise for our EMT/Medical skills.

The mood on the boat has turned decidedly nasty.  Our first real storm and it has nothing to do with the weather.  Everyone is super tired and stressed and this tends to come out like sharp bursts of lighting rather than seeping out like the water inside the boat is currently doing through our keel (yes I know water seeping out is meant to be a good thing but the thing is if it can seep out while we are up on blocks that means it can seep in when the boat goes back in the water).  We always knew personality clashes and general bitchiness would be a problem and we need to learn to deal with it.  We haven't figured that out yet but we will.  I blame Don

The mast step was taken out on Wednesday.  Don and I helped our new friend John smash/rip/pry and burn 4 big bolts and a steel plate from the keel.  It took about 3 hours and my arms hurt so much afterwards.  Hammering a copper wedge under a steel plate with 10 inches of swing room for the hammer is about a pleasant as driving for 3 hours in a seat positioned for a 4 foot 2 midget (not sure if a 4 foot 2 person qualifies as a midget but in my books they do now).  Once the step was out it was power washed and then inspected.  Upon where it was determined that the step was unrecoverable and would cost about a grand and a week to build a new one.  Don released a moment of pure fork lightening while I smiled purely based on the thought that my estimation for how long we would be on blocks was right and Don's was wrong.  Then I thought about the thousand dollars and stopped smiling, But Don's pain got the better of me and I started smiling again.

So that is about where we are at.  The boat leaks, we are oozing money like the keel is oozing water, Everyone wants to smash everyone else in the face on a regular basis, and the actual weather sucks for the first time since we have been here.

I blame Don

2 comments:

  1. Carl (the one with a child, that we know of)February 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM

    You didn't think this would be easy did you? Anything that is a once in a lifetime experience is going to push you hard, physically and mentally. However, you'll be amazed how much of this washes off once your underway and it just become one facet of the whole story.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear some chatter out there