Sunday, May 15, 2011

"I'm covered in bees!" - Eddie Izzard

Leslie (belated tale from Paradise Village, Puerta Vallarta, Mexico):


...as I was saying, A SWARM OF BEES (!!!) descends upon our radar, and Lisa and I go screaming into the boat, wondering what plague of doom has been sent to punish us for trying to sneak down the alligator slides after 9pm. This is very annoying because Andy has been making snacks and now we have to smuggle them outside to a bee-free trench to enjoy them. After taping up holes in the mast where bees have begun coming in, we manage to scramble out with wine, beers, and a plate of bruschetta, and find refuge at the end of the dock to watch the bees pirate the top of our mast and top of out radar. Passerbys rubberneck and offer advice: "Oh no! I've heard of this happening!" and "If you need a bee guy, I have a guy who took a giant hive of my mast last summer!" Finally, we have a plan of attack! Carl will put on his wetsuit, sailing gloves, cover his face and head with mosquito netting and be hoisted up to the top of the mast by Andy and Don, where he will then enrage the bees with a healthy spray of Raid. I am poised nearby with the hose to protect Don and Andy, but Andy gets stung twice (clearly, I am protecting Don better). Amazingly, it works like a charm, though we are cleaning up dead bees for the next two days, and killing a few refugees here and there. Anyhow, that's an old story.


Don preparing the warrior.
Full body view.
Lisa and I, laughing with Carl.
Bees swarming the mast (there are more than you see here!)
Lisa offers bee man a snack before battle!
Hoist!
Kill! Kill!
Why Don didn't get stung...why Andy did.
100 yard stares, battle scarred.
The casualties were far worse than this.
Stung in the forehead. Andy the rhino!





 
I'm writing from my phone, so I have no more finger strength to tell current events, other than we just returned from Pescadero / Todos Santos, which is, truly, paradise, and we are leaving for the Marquesas hopefully tomorrow. But all this info will come belatedly, so sit tight!

2 comments:

  1. Andy take an antihistamine as a precaution. Got any on the the ship?
    StretchmarK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice save "Bee-man"...too bad your choice in costuming was a little..um..lacking. ;)

    Miss you, love reading the blog and hope you, your crew and that lovely dog of yours stays safe.

    Enjoy some tuna, the open waters and exploring lands far away for me.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear some chatter out there