Sunday, January 16, 2011

Roller Derbie

Today we are both feeling pretty lethargic.  Don spent most of last night throwing up due to food poisoning.  I pretty much ate the same things as him yesterday so I guess this just shows how much of a man I am and Don isn't.  Due to Don's musical number that lasted into the wee hours of last night I didn't sleep very well and now instead of one very grumpy individual and one happy individual we now have one very grumpy and one semi grumpy individual which equals two grumpy individuals.  Just goes to show how good we are at teamwork.

Yesterday sore some more cleaning work on the boat.  We are very close to having the anchor locker cleared out sorted and done.  We found we do have a drain in the locker which was doubtful for a few hours and a pleasant surprise to find.  We have devised a Way to keep the chain off the floor so the water can run to it's drain freely and so the chain and rode won't sit in lots of salt water for extended amounts of time.  We also took another trip to LA and bought two 300 feet rope rodes, some shackles, some pins, a guide book, some rags and a deck scrub.  So now all we need to finish off our anchor set up is 250 feet of chain and a new anchor.  The new anchor seems to be the problem as we can't find easy access to the ones we want but we can get cheap knock offs.  Then the question becomes will they work well enough.  We will see.  If you feel like nerding out on anchors we are trying to find an original Bruce anchor(lots of knock off versions around) or we really would like a rocna anchor(which is made in New Zealand and is the new buzz in the anchor world) but are having a hard time convincing ourselves to spend the money.

In between the boat work and the buying things I did my usual coffee finding mission.  I have been hunting down places for coffee everywhere I go these days and any trip to LA has been no different.  I have had limited success and I think I am running at a 50% success ratio.  But then this is mainly due to the existence of intelligentsia in LA who seem to have a plan for domination.  Without them I would really be struggling.  We managed to waste a good 2 hours looking for coffee and taco's(I think don feels left out with my coffee excursions so yesterday he felt the need to focus on finding a good taco We think this is what led to the food poisoning).

After our little sailing purchasing spree.  We drove over to the local Orange County roller rink to watch Lisa play her Roller Derbie.  Now to me anything that starts with Orange County feels like it should be a reality TV Show and this scene definitely agreed with that assumption.  Thankfully this group had not progressed that way and it just ended up being a small stadium filled with people shouting at ladies in funny outfits rolling around in circles smashing each other.  And I do mean smashing each other.  Just girls laying other girls out like it was nothing.  Lisa performed wonderfully and even ended up winning the game for her team (this is even better when you take into consideration that she spent more time during the game in the penalty box than out of it).  If you have never been to one of these it is worth making the effort.  After watching a whole match I concluded there was no way I would be able to participate as with my fragile body I would be taking up to much of the on site doctors time and hence not allowing any relief for the real players.  Don on the other hand thought he could take most of the girls easily and that he would have no problem making the A team.  Again putting into question his manliness (I don't care if this isn't a real word it just works OK)

Then we went home and Don started throwing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear some chatter out there