Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rule #1. Don't do business with anyone name "Mide"

As if selling stuff weren't hard enough! I've sold stuff on Craigslist before (although never so much!), and it's always been fine and sketch-free. But recently, I got what I thought was sort of a strange response to one of my postings:

midwayltd010@gmail.com
Thanks for your prompt response i will love to make an instant purchase ,i hope it is in good condition like it stated, i have taken a close look at the advert,and am completely satisfied so please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist.I don,t mind adding an extra $70 dollars for you to take the advert down from criagslist, so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item.I will also like you to know that i will be paying via CERTIFIED CHECK and it will be an over night payment.............You don,t need to bother your self with the shipment ok,I will take care of that myself.... So I will need you to provide me with the
following information to facilitate the mailing of the payment....Not p.o.box
Name to be on the check_______________
Home address or office address________
City__________________________________
State_________________________________
Zip Code______________________________
Cell phone #__________________________

**Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping of this item . my shipper will move down to your place for the pick up...as soon as the money order clear.  hope you assure
me in hand of the item...  Have a nice day.......


Oookeeey. This seems abnormal. But maybe this guy's bad English is making him seem sketchy. Also, when people use all caps, you know they're trouble. Still, he's not asking for my SS#. But...


leslieannhenkel
Hi there, 
Sounds great, I will definitely take you up on your offer and remove the post to hold the couch for you for $320 total, but I'd love to call you and chat about the details of the shipping. May I have your number please? What's your name by the way? 


midway


Well My Name is Mide ..so i will like you to get back to me with your information so that i can issue the payment out to you asap and more so i will have call you but my cell phone is having problem but when i fixed it back i will try to call you asap ..so i will want you to get back to me with your information so that i can issue the check to you asap


Wow. So persistent without having even viewed the couch in real life? Then I start to wonder if you can fake a certified check. I look it up, and yes, yes you can. Ebay describes the way the whole thing goes down, so I decide it's safe to try one more thing with Mide. I give him an address. Surely he won't tell me he's going to send me a check for $3,000 dollars and ask me to pay his shipper with that money and then Western Union him the remainder. Mide, I believe in you! 


midway
Hello
How are you and how is your day? Hope everything if ok? .Well i will like to tell you that you will receive the payment next week.But, there is something i will like you to do for me. I just got married last week, i leave in New York, but will be relocating to your city as soon as i return from my honeymoon and will be going for my honeymoon in Dubai somewhere in the Asia next week. I might not be around to coordinate the pick up,and i will not want any delay from my side regarding the pick up so ,i will be adding the shipping fund with you money. As soon as you receive the payment,and get payment cashed.Then, I will instruct my shipper to get in contact with you for the pick up schedule time and date. so i will be sending the money to cover the shipment of the item, . You will receive the payment of $3,876 As soon as you have it, i will want you to deduct your money plus $100 for your effort and send the balance to the shipper via western union or money gram at any walmart store around you, the shipper will be pick up some other items for me in your city. I want to buy this item for
our my own use as soon as we return from Dubai. I hope i can count on you to do this for me. I will await your response asap, so that we can set the ball rolling


leslieannhenkel
Yeah, nice one. Actually don't send me anything. I now know that this is a scam. NO SALE!!! Have fun on your honeymoon, I hope your new wife enjoys being married to a  SCAMMER!


Yeah. After two more emails similar to Mide's, but with better English, I'm replying with this: 

leslieannhenkel
Please get a real job. You should know that your scam is retarded and you should really find a new email template because this is just like 2 I've gotten already. 
You suck for trying to rip people off, and karma is a bitch. So enjoy your scummy, scammy life in Scamtown! 



5 comments:

  1. hahahaha...leslie you made me LOL. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, i was trying to sell sneakers and i have the same exact email! hahaha...i was gonna wait to get the check...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I got an email from this address in regards to tutoring their daughter in science. I thought the lack of grammar and spelling was a sad indication of of our society but when I replied and they didn't answer any of my questions and started asking me for my address, I thought it smelled fishy. Then I googled the email address and found your post!

    When you're telling me your daughter needs tutoring and you keep mixing up your pronouns something is wrong.

    Apparently they're from CANADA according to my correspondance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to tutor the daughter in ESL! From CANADA, also offered $100 bonus! It sounded like BS, now i know. Thanks so much for the post, you really helped me avoid getting ripped off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got an email from this guy off of craigslist for a private tutor. I think I'm going to reply to him saying that I just got married last week and I live in New York but will be relocating to his city as soon as I return from my honeymoon, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear some chatter out there